We've Moved!

Lyrist101 Has Moved!
Now located at
SongChops.com



Saturday, January 10, 2009

Point of View (POV): Direct Address


Also called second person, direct address is about a direct conversation between the "I" and some second person or "you." The pronouns associated with second person or direct address are:

Singular: you, your, yours
Plural: you, your yours

You'll often hear a combination of the pronouns I and you in a direct address song, so don't let the I's fool you - imagine the scene - does it sound like someone else is present? The benefit of using direct address is the immediate immersion of the listener into a situation. The situation needs to hold enough drama to engage the listener, and the singer has to make sure the emotion of speaking to someone comes through during the performance.

Direct address is a complicated POV to use. It has pitfalls that can quickly make a song confusing. A great example of second person done well is "Vehicle" by Ides of March (written by Jim Peterik).

VERSE
Hey well, I'm a friendly stranger in a black Sedan
Won't you hop inside my car?
I got pictures, got candy, I'm a lovable man
And I can take you to the nearest star

CHORUS
I'm your vehicle, baby
I'll take you anywhere you wanna go
I'm your vehicle, woman
By now I'm sure you know
That I love ya (love ya)
I need ya (need ya)
I want ya, got to have you, child
Great God in heaven, you know I love you

Watch Jim Peterik sing it himself:


More Jim Peterik: